Saturday, May 26, 2012
A very colorful light will shine upon Native Instruments' DJ ecosystem on May 30th, and it's called Traktor Kontrol F1. The rainbow-flavored box aims squarely at the growing number of beat junkies who fall somewhere between DJ and producer. New Remix Decks in the accompanying Traktor 2.5 software cater to a more granular perspective on mixing, and the F1 is the tool that brings the new layers to your fingertips. We had an exclusive sit-down with a beta version of the adorable blinky-buttony-slidery controller/instrument-thing that we're itching to spill the beans on, so join us after the break, won't you?
Putting it simply, the F1 is a 4.7-by-11.5-inch box with a standard 16-pad interface that should be familiar to anyone who's encountered an MPC-style interface. Surrounding the grid are a host of operational effects that modify playback of sounds in the corresponding rows, or in other cases, of all the sounds currently playing back in a column: sync, quant, capture, stop, type and size. These also serve secondary functions in shift-mode (pitch, speed and color) to further shape the sound. Above each column sits a slider generally used for column volume control and a filter knob. A single Traktor-standard rotary encoder is used to adjust parameters. Those candy-colored lights -- each hue customizable via an embedded LED -- communicate which type of sample is loaded in the corresponding slot in software. The grid also serves as a 16-pixel animation display, so you're constantly treated to a deeper look at how the interface is triggering or navigating through each individual sound.
Monday, June 6, 2011
Cytomic have announced another VST called: "The Drop", an analog-modelled resonant filter plug-in. It's still in development with release expected before the end of the year. Several audio demos are available.
This should be handy for use in live. I'm looking for a better filter to hook up to the Uc-33e for live use.
- Dual filter section with a Lowpass followed by a Highpass.
- Circuits include State Variable (e.g. SEM-1A), Sallen Key (e.g. MS-20), and more to be announced.
- Loads of drive and character and analog style noise.
- Full frequency range and perfect resonance tracking without oversampling so there is no delay for live use.
- Huge amounts of resonance if you want and also a resonance limit button for DJ use to make sure you blast people's ears off at a gig.
- Envelope follower, diode modelled, from input or sidechain.
- FM from input or sidechain.
- Two LFOs: one complex, and one basic.
- Stereo and Mono processing.
Cytomic - The drop
Theres some demo sounds on the link too, its looking promising.
Whats your guys favorite filter VST?